Monday, July 21, 2008

My alarm clock is broken!

So, a while back I went into the chicken coop to give the chickens some fruit for a treat. Inside I saw my rooster and 3 hens. I looked around and found the 4th hen under the egg boxes, which was odd. I figured she was laying since she wouldn't come out. Later that day I went out to get eggs and the same hen is in the same place. It does not take all day to lay an egg so I shooed her out. She ran out and then the dang rooster ran after her and kept trying to peck her head (there is truth to the saying of peck your eyes out!) She ran back and hid under the box. So I decided that he needed to be booted out of the coop for a while, since he was trying to kill one of my hens and the other three were all bald on their back from him picking out feathers. So I took him out, he freaked out a bit with some non-stop crowing and then went along his merry way pecking around the yard.
Until a week ago, we came home from Phoenix and found feathers EVERYWHERE. Not good. We also found my poor plucked rooster in the yard with the suspect. A stupid little rat dog chased to poor thing to death. I chased it off and it had the nerve to return to the scene of the crime a couple of days later.
So sadly my alarm clock is no longer, but Ryder has happily taken over as he has suddenly become a very early morning person, again.

No comments: